Email alerts have been a feature of Backstage.com for years now. Notifications of casting calls that fit your search criteria, messages from other users, and more have been a standard staple of the Backstage experience.
With the Backstage Casting for iOS app, users now have the ability to receive casting alerts directly on their iPhones. There are several places with which you can enable these notifications, so it's important to know what the controls in each location mean in order to successfully receive your push notifications.
*Note: These push notifications are set to appear no more than once per every two hours. We don't want to blow up your phone! Email notifications however will go out for every single notice.
Push Notifications in a Nutshell
Push notifications are a convenient new way for our users to be alerted the exact moment a role that fits their criteria is posted. Providing the following criteria is met, they will be delivered to your device:
- You have granted the Backstage app permission to send you push notifications
- Push notifications are turned on in the global notification controls
- You have turned on push notifications on your saved search
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you may reach out to Backstage customer service and we'll be happy to assist you.
Granting Permission to Send Push Notifications
The first thing you'll need to do is grant the Backstage app permission to send you push notifications to your phone. There are a few different ways you can do this.
Your First Time Opening the App
- When you open the app for the first time, it will ask for your permission to send push notifications. Tap the 'Yes' button.
- An additional prompt will appear from your iPhone itself confirming your permission. Tap on the 'Allow' button.
Now the Backstage app has your permission to send you push notifications.
If It's Not Your First Time
You can grant Backstage permission to send you push notifications later through your settings app.
- Navigate to your iOS Settings app on your home screen.
- Scroll down in the app list until you find the Backstage app and tap on it.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Tap the 'Allow Notifications' toggle.
Global Notification Settings
Briefly touched on above, the global notification controls allow you to set the rules for notifications across your entire Backstage account. You can find these controls by navigating to the 'Me' tab, and tapping on 'Notifications'.
From here you can turn on and off push notifications for your invitations and your saved searches, as well as turning on and off your email notifications for your saved searches.
It's important to note that these controls will override any notification settings on your individual saved searches. What that means is:
- If your global notifications are turned off, but you have notifications turned on for any saved search, you will receive no notifications at all.
- If you have all global notifications turned on, but no notifications turned on for a specific saved search, you will not receive notifications for that saved search.
These global notifications will also affect your Backstage.com website settings as well, so be aware that changes you make here will also affect your experience while using your browser on your home computer.
Saved Search Notifications
You can modify the notifications for your saved searches by navigating to the 'Casting Calls' tab and tapping on the saved search dropdown.
Once there, tap on the 'Options' button next to the search you want to change your notifications for.
You'll see there are several options for notifications. You can receive either email or push notifications, and you can receive them either immediately, once a day, or once a week.
Select the notification settings that work for you, and then tap on the blue 'Save' button in the upper right corner of the screen.
In addition, you may modify the notifications for each of your saved search from the Global Notification controls described above. Simply tap on the saved search and you will be brought to a page that will allow you to modify these notification settings.